I just haven't had the desire to write much on the blog lately. I think it's because we are still so uncertain about how everything will shake out this year. My arm is still healing slowly, and I am looking around for different work. I have one interview scheduled on April 22nd for a faculty position at an osteopathic medical school about an hour away. I really don't want to commute, but I need to pursue the opportunity and see what happens. I have also heard about an even better academic opportunity at a new osteopathic medical school in Washington state. I'll write more about that when and if I get an interview. Yes, it would be worth moving to another state for.
I think most of you who read my blog don't know that I was a professor before I went to medical school. I have a Ph.D. in History, specializing in Latin America. I taught for 5 years in Ohio before I went back to school. I feel like I've gotten enough clinical experience and I can move on now. It would be nice to combine my experiences in a new career path.
Meanwhile, we are hanging on to the idea of another adoption. We have an appointment on April 28th to talk to a small local adoption facilitator. The up-front costs are low, and they only work with a limited number of families each year, so average waits are not long. I have been thinking we needed all our adoption funds set aside before we even started, but Kit thinks we should just get moving and see what happens.
Gabriel turned 4 on March 16th and he is doing great! His speech is coming along. I don't think he'll ever have a "language explosion", but he does have little spurts in which he moves forward a bit faster. He can say and repeat a lot more words, and he's starting to use a few adjectives. He counts "1, 2, 9, 9, 9" and he can identify and write the letter X.
Our dog Havi turned 13 on the 20th. We are just astonished at how well she is doing. She has severe hip dysplasia, so we can't do walks and all that, but she is otherwise healthy. She has gotten a lot of her spunk back since she became our only dog. I guess getting all the attention really helps. Here's a picture of her from last year:
And here are some pictures from our Springtime yard and Mr. G himself in the past month:
And here is my little April Fool!






Jeanne..Kit..
ReplyDeleteI am sooo glad to hear you have not given up. Never give up!
I will take Kit's view. Go ahead now and have faith it will happen and eventually it does. I have experienced that; it works!
Meanwhile...have some fun.
Great to read your update. Sounds like you've got a lot on your mind these days and some exciting opportunities!
ReplyDeleteSo glad to see update (and read that your arm is healing well! Hope the job opportunity(ies) work out just as you want them to...I'm sure it's frustrating.
ReplyDeleteAlso, excited about the possibilities with the local agency you may work with. I agree...if up-front costs are low, couldn't hurt, right???
That shirt of his is ADORABLE! He IS so cute it hurts!
Love the pictures of your little guy, and so nice to see an update.
ReplyDeleteGlad your arm is slowly getting back to normal, too, and yayy for you on the possible opportunities!!!
So happy to see an update. I hope you have great luck with the local agency and am happy that you are forging ahead. You never know which path will lead to your child. He is so cute...I love his hair!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear that you are exploring lots of possibilities...with your job options and adoption plan too, how exciting!!! When it all comes to fruition, you will look back at this post and it will all make sense then. Happy Spring and Happy 4th Birthday Gabriel!
ReplyDeleteDitto what all the other posters have said. Jeanne, our pastor gave us some great advice when we went to him to decide what to do about K'stan and the $$ and all. He told us that God only requires one step at a time. Once we step out in faith onto the first ledge, he will make another step/ledge clear. And He did. Step by step. There is NO WAY I could have ever imagined getting Ellie home and the fees associated with that adoption. But it happened. Had we been one day later, it would not have. Take the step in faith and see where it leads.
ReplyDeleteLove G's shirt too -- he is just so very, very, very cute!! He needs a sibling. It has been such a blessing to Josh (and to us to see them together) to have a sister.
Jeanne -- just have to say that I love the new blog header :)
ReplyDeleteI love your update post! I know things are still up in the air for you but I can feel your optimism and I understand it. I hope you know the direction things are headed soon with work and adoption. Gabriel is definitely a cutie. He seems okay with the language. My sons have been similar in skills at 4 but all have qualified for speech services too and done well with the extra help.
ReplyDeleteGood to hear an update.Good luck with the job opportunities!Hope one of these opportunities work out for you! Your little Gabriel is just the CUTEST little guy!!Love the new header on the blog!
ReplyDelete