Friday, January 8, 2010

Figuring out the new plan

This is what we've figured out so far: we're going to attempt a domestic adoption. We will request a baby girl (not necessarily newborn) of any race. We prefer to work within an agency framework. Some agencies don't want the prospective adoptive parents to specify gender, because ultrasound tests are frequently wrong. We have already discussed that if we match with a birthmother, and the baby turns out to be a boy, we won't walk away. But if that were to happen, I told Kit that I reserve the option for a 3rd child. He gasped. :-)

We are still working on fundraising, so can't quite get started yet.

In other news, I started back to work this week. On the sound advice of my physical therapist, I am limited to 2 days per week for the next 2 months. That really feels like enough, because even the little work I did caused pain and swelling in my arms. Working on strengthening should help that. I am so fortunate that Dr. M who has filled in for me these past months will stay on one day per week indefinitely. He can see as many patients in one day as I see in two! There will be *just enough* income to pay him, my employee, and the rent and utilities. One day at a time, as they say.

7 comments:

  1. Baby steps turn into big steps...or so I'm finding.

    Excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your new plan!!

    There are several Ca. network advertising agencies that list your profile to birthmothers. This may help with getting your profile out there. I am exited and happy for you to continue this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne, I am so happy that you have created a new plan for finding your next child (or two :) I love the new family photo you put on the blog! I hope you continue to feel better and stronger in the next coming months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're on the right track. I can't wait to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great news! It's funny how the route we start upon often takes many unexpected turns. (I never expected to adopt from KG when I started out.) I'm excited to follow your new path. Glad to hear your arm is gaining strength and you're able to ease slowly back into work. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to hear your new plan. It's wonderful :) Also very happy your arm is getting stronger.

    Be well :)

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew this was the direction that you were thinking and so glad that you are going to pursue domestic. It is hard to step back from international when that road to adoption has already blessed your life....but, been there, done that...wouldn't change ANY of it. I'm excited to follow your journey, especially since our journey's are so similar...

    And when you are ready to get started, please call/email me. If I knew what I know now in the beginning, it would have saved me tons of anxiety with domestic adoption. Once I found the 'key' we only waited a short 3 weeks to meet our daughter. :)

    Talk soon!! Bree

    ReplyDelete